Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Purpose of Truth for Teens Blog



The Purpose of the Truth for Teens Blog

Earlier this summer, the thought crossed my mind to establish a teen blog for the teens in my youth group. At first, I was a little hesitant about starting it, but the Lord kept laying the idea on my heart and mind. As I began working on the design and layout, I began thinking, "What will be the purpose of this blog?" I did not want to establish a blog for my teens with the intent that I can say, "Come read my blog," or "I have a blog." I did not want any type of selfish motive to be the incentive to start this. Daniel 1:8 says, "But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat..." Daniel purposed in his heart what he would and would not do while he was in captivity in Babylon. Along the same lines, I had to decide at the beginning of this blog what its purpose would be. The Lord brought a verse to my mind while I was thinking over this thought. Luke 2:52 says, "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man." This verse gives a four-fold purpose which I want this blog to have.
1) To help the teens increase mentally = wisdom
I want this blog to be a spot where the teens can develop their mental skills. This generation needs to know "why" they believe what they believe.  They need to be able to think and study these questions for themselves as they establish their own core beliefs about life.  These beliefs need to be rooted in God's eternal Word.  When I speak of the teens increasing mentally, I also mean that the blog will be a place they can go to find information on how they can learn more of the Bible and how they can do better in their schoolwork. This blog will periodically contain study habits they can use to help them do better in school. It will also contain posts to help them in their Bible study.
2) To help the teens increase physically = stature
This blog will be a place where health tips will be found. This will not be the main thrust of the blog, but it will be referenced. We only have one body to serve God, we should do our part to keep it healthy so we can keep serving Him.
3) To help the teens increase spiritually = favor with God
This is the main purpose I have established this blog. I want the teenagers to learn what it means to walk with God and to find His will and purpose for their lives. I have never met a great Christian who does not have a daily walk with God . This blog will be full of posts to help the teens grow in their prayer lives, Bible reading, soul winning, church attendance, and several other ways they can grow.
4) To help the teens increase socially = favor with man
If you are going to be alive, why not enjoy life? Teens today need something socially they can turn to. The saying is, "No man is an island." Everyone has somebody they communicate with socially. Society today is destroying etiquette and chivalry and positive social interactions through the television, internet, video games, and other forms of media. This blog is to help teens learn social habits that are a must for their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment