Wednesday, February 6, 2013
I Love My Church
Can you think of a place that you love to go to? This place you are thinking of might be a scenic location, a restaurant, an ice cream shop, a friend's house, a gym, or a place to relax. When I was in college, a place I loved to attend was called Jamba Juice. It was a smoothie place that made the best smoothies I have ever tasted. I also loved to attend a burger place called In-n-Out Burger. I love these places. I thought about these places. I also left satisfied from these places. In the Bible, the psalmist mentioned a place he loved:
Psalm 26:8 Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth.
The psalmist in this passage mentioned that the place he loved was God's house. He loved the habitation of God's house meaning that he just loved being in the house of God. He loved God's house because that was a place where God received the honour. He loved God's house because God received the glory there. He loved God house because God was praised and magnified there. He just simply loved God's house.
Sadly, many Christians today and many Christian teenagers today love other places more than the house of God. The gym, park, work place, grocery store, friend's houses, sporting events, and the mall have a bigger place in their heart and life than the house of God does. I know this for a fact because if that previous statement was incorrect, than the house of God would be more full on a regular basis than it is now. Stadiums are packed with people on a Sunday while God's house sits empty. I cannot walk into a Walmart on Sunday because I will be there 20-30 minutes when I only have to buy one item.
Yes, a love for the house of God is decreasing in today's society. Jesus even alluded to it in Matthew 24:12, And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. Even though we are living in a generation that does not really possess a love for the house of God , there are still reasons why we should love His house.
1. Jesus created it (Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.)
2. God adds to it (Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church such as should be saved)
3. Jesus is in charge of the church (Ephesians 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church.)
4. The church teaches the wisdom of God (Ephesians 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God.)
5. Jesus loves the church (Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church...)
6. Jesus died for the church (Ephesians 5:25 ...even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it.)
7. God nourishes and strengthens the church (Ephesians 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church.)
8. The church is the pillar and ground for truth (1 Timothy 3:15 ...that thou knowest how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.)