Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. I love it because it is a time to gather around with friends and family. It is a time to BBQ and eat. It is a time to relax and enjoy a day off. Probably the greatest reason I love July 4th is I get to spend the day thinking about how great of a country I live in. I believe I live in the greatest nation on the planet. I Love America! I understand that America spiritually is not what she once was. I understand that what was shunned a mere 10-20 years ago is now being openly embraced. Our leaders care more for themselves and their political agenda than they do for standing for right and holiness. They embrace humanism instead of embracing the Bible. America has murdered millions of babies and is trillions of dollars in debt. She seeks to remove God from every area of life, and replace God with man's ways and man's ideologies. I love my country, but a majority of the things that she stands for and embraces I don't love.
In light of this, I am reminded of what President Kennedy said in his Inaugural Address in 1961:
We truly are living in the "what can America give me" generation. Nobody wants to go out a do something great. People are content to sit on their sofas and draw their welfare checks. People elect leaders based on what that leader will do for them. Voting based upon what is right and what is Biblical and what will truly help our country is out; voting for the person who will do the most and give us the most is in.
Teenager, I do not want for you to think that our country is hopeless. There is hope for America and that hope is you. You can change our country. You can make a difference. If the youth of America decide that they will impact our country by not tolerating the nonsense in our country, by voting for the right candidate, but most importantly, by holding to the values and principles taught in the Word of God in their speech and in the lifestyle, America can be changed.
So then, what can you as a teenager do for America?
1. Get a fresh glimpse of God (Isaiah 6:1-8) - if all of us, myself included, would wake up every day and get a glimpse of God, then our day would be different. Our speech, thoughts, clothing, attitude, and lifestyle would reflect Him. He will shine more and more as we shine less and less.
2. Pray for your country (2 Chronicles 7:14) - America will never be changed if God's people are not praying for her. Take time to pray for your country. Pray for its leaders, pray for its protection, but pray especially for revival.
3. Vote based on the Bible - the country will reflect the attitude of its leaders. If the leaders do not line up with the Bible, then the people of the nation will not. When old enough to vote, don't vote based on personality, skin color, and promises. Vote for the candidate who most falls in line with what the Bible teaches.
4. Life Godly lives - America needs to get a fresh glimpse of true Christianity. She needs to see true Christian teenagers living their lives as God would want. The world does not want a cheap imitation of itself. Be real. Be genuine. Be the Christian teen that God would look down and smile on.
5. Be a witness - America is going to hell in a hand basket. You go out and be a witness for Christ. Share the Gospel with people. Knock doors. Invite people to God's house. Bring your friends to God's house and let them hear the Gospel. Realize that people around you are lost and going to hell. Do your part to keep that from happening.
There is hope for America. Teen, do you part to help bring our nation back to God.
"Ask not what your country can do for you - as what you can do for your country."